Even though most Americans mention the economy as the most important problem facing the nation, abortion is still the most divisive topic. According to Gallup, the country is split almost 50-50 on the legality of abortion and this divide has remained virtually constant for more than 25 years.
It is a debate that is particularly intense because it deals with people's morals. Notice the principled desire to uphold justice in the severity of the opposing views: some view abortion as infanticide, murder. Others see it as a completely moral, personal choice for a woman.
The debate becomes even more complex when one takes into account the different nuances positions that exist. Given this context, it is essential to have a sense of where the candidates stand on abortion before voting. Here are some quotes and excerpts on abortion by each of the major Republican candidates:
* Would define "life as beginning at conception by passing a 'Sanctity of Life Act.'"
* Would repeal Roe v. Wade and preventing activist judges from interfering with state decisions on life by removing abortion from federal court jurisdiction through legislation modeled after his 'We the People Act.'"
* Paul has a pro-life ad that can be seen here.
* "What it comes down to is not the government's role or anybody else's role to make that decision. Secondly, if you look at the statistical incidents, you're not talking about that big a number. So what I'm saying is it ultimately gets down to a choice that that family or that mother has to make."
* "Yesterday in an interview with Piers Morgan on CNN, I was asked questions about abortion policy and the role of the president. I understood the thrust of the question to ask whether that I, as president, would simply 'order' people to not seek an abortion. My answer was focused on the role of the President. The President has no constitutional authority to order any such action by anyone. That was the point I was trying to convey. As to my political policy view on abortion, I am 100% pro-life. End of story."
* "I am pro-life and believe that abortion should be limited to only instances of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. I support the reversal of Roe v. Wade, because it is bad law and bad medicine. Roe was a misguided ruling that was a result of a small group of activist federal judges legislating from the bench. I support the Hyde Amendment, which broadly bars the use of federal funds for abortions. And as president, I will support efforts to prohibit federal funding for any organization like Planned Parenthood, which primarily performs abortions or offers abortion-related services.
* "I will advocate for and support a Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act to protect unborn children who are capable of feeling pain from abortion. And perhaps most importantly, I will only appoint judges who adhere to the Constitution and the laws as they are written, not as they want them to be written."
* "I think that abortion should not be legal, and I think that how you would implement that I'm not sure."
* "People should select adoption rather than abortion and that choosing abortion is not acceptable."
* "I think that Planned Parenthood should be defunded, and I think it's a very significant issue to say to people, 'Should your tax money go to pay the leading abortion provider in America?'"